Equity and Inclusion in Astronomical Research
- Astronomy in Color (blog run by members of the AAS CMSA – Committee for the Status of Minorities in Astronomy)
- Full Spectrum (Documentary project to showcase BIPOC in astronomy, led by Bryan Mendez)
- Resources from the CWSA (AAS Committee for the Status of Women in Astronomy)
- Groups and Resource for Underrepresented Scientists (TriCollege Library Reading List).
Research Productivity Resources
- Template of a Research Journal (for academic semester research)
- Advice on Managing your Supervisor from “The Wellbeing Thesis”
Astronomical Literature Reading Resources
- Cooke et al 2020 – paper which describes how to read astronomical journals, and also how to engage in a Journal Club discussion. The link is to the ADS (see below) listing – for the PDF click on the icons to the right under “Full Text Article”.
- Astrophysics Data System (ADS) literature search – the search engine of choice for most astronomers.
- Astrobites – a daily astrophysical literature journal written by graduate students in astronomy since 2010. Their goal is to present one interesting paper per day in a brief format that is accessible to undergraduate students in the physical sciences who are interested in active research.
- Astrobites advice on reading Journal Articles
- Demonstration of how to get a list of papers cited by another paper (using Masters et al. 2019 as an example).
How to get started Coding
- Python for Astronomers – a free online text book with examples to get started python coding (also has a chapter on Unix/command line).
- Introduction to Astronomy Research – a Github repository with a set of Jupyter (python) notebooks which have a self guided introduction to python and data analysis in astronomy (with mostly exoplanet examples).
Advice on Science Writing
- Be Concise, Yet Precise, A guide to scientific writing by Heloise Stevance.
- Writing Scientific Papers in Astronomy, Knapan, Chamba and Black 2021.
- Write Science in Plain English, a working document by me (KLM).
Making a Scientific Poster
Resources about Galaxies/Surveys/Our Science
- Surveys/catalogues/data we use a lot – page of summary info by KLM (ask for additions)
- HI (21cm) measurements of galaxies (called “Understanding ALFALFA” which is the name of a specific 21cm survey)
- A playlist of talks on Youtube I think might be useful (by me or others).
- American Astronomical Society Jobseekers Webinars (Youtube Playlist for careers which benefit from astronomical education both outside and within academia).
Graduate School Resources
- Astrobetter information on graduate program requirements for the GRE
- Community sourced list of GRE requirements and fee waivers for astronomy and physics programs.