I am a Professor of Astronomy and Physics at Haverford College, PA, USA. I am also the Faculty Director of the Marian E. Koshland Integrated Natural Sciences Center at Haverford. My office can be found in the Strawbridge Observatory by the Athletic fields on the Haverford Campus.
I am the Principle Investigator for Galaxy Zoo (formerly Project Scientist ~2010-2021) and a lot of my research time is spent combining classifications from this project with other data to study galaxy evolution. I have also been involved in several other related Zooniverse Projects, and I am a member of the Advisory Board for the REINFORCE project, which has EU funds to support involvement with citizen science.
I’m the Spokesperson for the Sloan Digital Sky Survey ( SDSS-IV 2014-2021) – for my science I’m most interested in data from the MaNGA survey part of SDSS-IV. I’ve been a member of SDSS since 2008 (across SDSS-III and -IV).
I am a member of the National Academy of Sciences Committee on Radio Frequencies (CORF) and have also served as an expert on the US Delegation to the World Radio Communications (WRC) Working Party 7D (WP7D) for Radio Astronomy. I have also been on the NRAO/GBT User Committee Twice (2008-2012; 2021-2025).
- Birthplace: Coleshill, Birmingham, UK
- Secondary school (12-16): The Coleshill School, Coleshill. GCSEs in Double Science (A*), Maths (A), English Language (A) and Literature (A), Design Technology (A), French (A), Geography (A), Music (A) and Art (A).
- A-levels in Physics (A and S-level), Maths (A), Further Maths (A) and Chemistry (A): King Edward VIth Form College, Nuneaton
- Undergraduate degree: BA Physics (1st class), Oxford University (Wadham College), 1997-2000
- Graduate degree: PhD Astronomy, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2000-2005
- (Adviser – Martha Haynes, I also got an MSc in Astronomy from Cornell as part of the course)
- Postdoctoral research Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, Sept 2005- June 2008. (Mentor – John Huchra).
- Maternity leave Mar-May 2007
- Visiting Scientist Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory – July/August 2008
- Postdoctoral researcher at Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, University of Portsmouth, October 2008-2014 (Mentor – Bob Nichol)
- Oct 2008-2010: The 2008 Peter and Patricia Gruber Foundation IAU Fellow
- Maternity leave Feb-Sep 2010
- Oct 2010-2012: Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellow
- Oct 2012-2014: University of Portsmouth Faculty of Technology Research Investment Fund Fellow
- Senior Lecturer (Assistant Professor) at Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, University of Portsmouth, Oct 2014-2015
- Reader (Associate Professor) in Astronomy and Astrophysics at Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, University of Portmsouth, Oct 2015-Sept 2019 (20% FTE Jan 2018-Sept 2019)
- Associate Professor of Astronomy and Physics at Haverford College, PA, USA. Jan 2018-June 2021
- Full Professor of Astronomy and Physics at Haverford College, PA, USA. Jul 2021-